Pages & Navigation
Pages and Navigation controls the website content that is available to users on your LearningCart site. When you visit this feature you will see a tree that represents how all the content on your site is structured. Some of this content is visible in your navigation menu, some may be hidden, and some items called "page fragments" represent specific pieces of content such as your websites header or footer. You can right click on any item or click the drop down arrow located to the right to intiate the context menu. From there you can chose to add, delete, move or add a new subpage. So for example if you wanted to add a new top level item to the site you would right click on Root Level and then select Add Subpage.
Adding an Item
Once you have decided where to add your new item you will then be prompted to select the type of item you want to add. The available options are:
- Content Page: This is a standard website page.
- Blog: This type of item would represent a link to a blog home page or a specific blog entry.
- Product Subcategory: This item would represent a link to a subcategory of products you have created.
- Uploaded File: This item would be a link to a file you have, or are going to upload.
- Link: This item would be for a link to a specific URL.
- Placeholder: This item is if you want to create a placeholder in your navigation or in your content tree to better organize your material. A place holder holds a place but is not clickable and does not link to any content.
Depending on the type of option you select different fields will then be shown to you in order to finish setting up your new item. For example if you select to add a new content page you will be presented with an editor window to build your page. If you select to add a new uploaded file item you will be prompted to browse or upload your file.
Below is a complete list of fields that may be presented.
- Document Type: The document type drop down specifies what type of content this document is.
- Document: A traditional content document (page). This is the default value.
- Link: A link to a different page. When this option is selected, two additional fields (Redirect and Redirect URL) are shown on the page. These allow you to specify where the link should redirect to and if the link should open in the current or a new window.
- Page Fragment: Page fragments are small pieces of content that can be used at various places in your sites template. Page Fragments are generally configured by LearningCart to allow you to easily update specific pieces of your site’s template. If your site uses page fragments these will be discussed in your LearningCart user training.
- Document Title: The title of your document.
- Template: The content template you would like to use.
- Description: A short description of what this content is about. This field is used by search engines to give users a brief synopsis of your content.
- Show in Table of Contents: For templates that automatically build their site navigation, checking this box will ensure the page you are adding will show up in your site’s navigation menu.
- Active. When checked this document is available to the public. When unchecked the document is inactive. The default state is unchecked.
- Document URL: The URL you want to use for your content. LearningCart will automatically create a URL based on the title you enter, but you can override that by changing this field if desired.
- Redirect URL: Only shown if the document type is set to link. This field allows you to specify the page or URL this piece of content should point to. Enter your desired URL or click the Browse link to select from content and pages in LearningCart.
- When the Browse link is clicked, a new window will load. From the Type drop down select from the following options:
- Documents - select this option to link to an existing document.
- External Resource - select this to option to link to an External Resource (Custom Pages or Code that is not part of the Content Management System). You must add an External Resource prior to selecting this option.
- Blogs - select this option to link to the home page or specific entries on your blog.
- Product Add to Cart - select this option to link to the selected product add to cart page.
- Product Subcategory - select this option to link to the selected product subcategory page.
- Product Details - select this option to link to the select product details page.
- Uploaded Files - select this option to link to an uploaded file.
- Editor Content: This is where you can edit your content using the integrated editor. For more information on using the editor see the Editor Tips section of this document.